To carry out a comparative study of the provision for EAL in pre-service and continuing professional development courses in Ireland north and south by holding 4 meetings of the project team between St Mary’s Belfast and Coláiste Mhuire, Marino.
The significant actions associated with the Project include:
- A literature review of the field
- A comparison of the education contexts in each jurisdiction
- A review of the official policy context
- An identification of the opportunities available for profession development for teachers in schools
- A determination as to how EAL is structured into courses at the ITE phase in these two colleges
- A survey of attitudes to EAL and views on personal competence among BEd students in the final year of their ITE programme in both institutions
- A seminar to disseminate findings of the Project.