The aim of this research work is to pilot and develop a collaborative art and design education project within initial teacher education North and South which will support the teaching of Citizenship Education across the whole island.
- By examining how exploring personal and national identities through Art and Design can change student teachers and learners perceptions of themselves and others.
- By promoting cooperation in (curriculum development) across institutions responsible for Initial Teacher Education in the Visual Arts in Ireland (with a specific North South dimension).
- Focusing on the development, testing and implementation of innovative pedagogical materials in Art and Design, curriculum content and methods relating to the development of Citizenship Education.
- Supporting the development of innovative ICT based content services, pedagogies and practice for lifelong learning.
- Improving motivation for learning, and teaching and learning through the development of a range of approaches to teaching the visual arts to support transversal key competencies.