SCOTENS - Standing Conference on Teacher Education North and South - Logo   Image of SEN Children - Logo
Area Index
Home Page
Special Education Needs
Types of Special Need
Medical Conditions
People and Roles
Educational Psychologist (NI)
Educational Psychologist (RoI)
The Class Teacher
The Classroom/Special Needs Assistant
Occupational Therapist (NI)
Paediatrician (NI)
Physiotherapist (N.I)
School Management
The Learning Support Teacher
The Resource Teacher
Speech & Language Therapist (N.I)
The Visiting Teacher Service
ICT & Special Needs
Case Studies
Teaching Strategies
Alternative Education
Miscellaneous Needs
Resources & help
Student Activities

 Special Education Needs

People & Roles -


Speech and language therapists do not normally come into mainstream schools.  Their work is usually based in units attached to schools or in special schools or community health centres.  Most children, whose language is severe enough to need therapy, also have other difficulties and will normally be placed in a special unit.  However, speech and language therapists do accept referrals from teachers and are willing to give advice to any teacher phoning up for help.  Parents should be consulted before making a referral as very often these children have already been identified but for some reason have not made the school aware of the problem.

Once a child has been referred he or she should be seen within twelve weeks but will then be placed on a waiting list for help.

Any child who has a statement for communication difficulties will attend the community health centres where he/she will be given exercises and therapy to help with the problem. 

In some areas, projects have been underway where speech therapists will work with teachers to deliver language improvement plans and talks have been given to SENCOs. 



Acknowledgements & Copyright