The following list of websites show teachers demonstrating and reflecting on the practical use of ICT in the classroom; these examples have been recorded through video.
These links are provided as examples of working with ICT but their inclusion does not indicate the authors of the site are recommending them as best practice.
Tim Rylands – Myst: computer games in education
Primary school teacher Tim Rylands uses the computer game Myst to engage his pupils in areas such as creative writing, speaking and listening, music and art.
See BECTA’s overview and the Teachers TV review of Tim’s work on YouTube.
- Innovation – New Ideas in Primary ICT. At Clunbury Primary School (Shropshire), Headteacher Andrew Davis has introduced laptops, podcasts, blogs, camcorders and portable games consoles into the curriculum. http://www.teachers.tv/video/27308
- KS3/4 Design and Technology – The Future’s Handheld. In this programme Year 10 pupils at Saltash.net Community School, near Plymouth, spend two days testing out specially adapted software on PDAs. http://www.teachers.tv/video/3306
- Personalised Learning with ICT2. This programme looks at a pilot with 8 schools in Dudley using pda’s, two schools are highlighted and examples of use include animation in French classes. http://www.teachers.tv/video/168
- Secondary ICT – Personalised Learning with ICT3. What are the issues involved in being at the cutting edge of ICT development in secondary schools? Various teachers discuss the innovative use of ICT. http://www.teachers.tv/video/169
- Secondary ICT SOS – PDAs and Webcams. This programme focuses on ICT resources such as PDAs and webcams, which some teachers have found useful in teaching. http://www.teachers.tv/video/3209
- Web Literacy. ICT consultant working with year 9 pupils in examining 3 websites – one on the holocaust, Martin Luther King and Victorian robots. In the first part he asks pupils what they think about the sites followed by a teacher led deconstruction of the sites. http://www.teachers.tv/video/5425
- ICT and Literacy Issues. Two teachers and an ICT consultant discuss measures to improve teaching literacy with ICT in a primary school. http://www.teachers.tv/video/157
- 2D animation. Two teachers using animation in the classroom, one through an after school film club and the other as a 3 day workshop. http://www.teachers.tv/video/2743
- KS1/2 Art -3D Animation. This programme explores how 3D animation can be used to help deliver both ICT and Art units of the curriculum to Key Stage 2 pupils. http://www.teachers.tv/video/2744 Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/2744/resources
- KS3/4 English and Media – teaching Media: Analysing an Advert. In this programme the teacher works with a Year 10 class analysing the Levi’s Midsummer advert, which sets words from A Midsummer Night’s Dream on the streets of contemporary Los Angeles. http://www.teachers.tv/video/2554Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/2554/resources
- Two Media Stories: The Advert and the Soap. Featuring the recent A Midsummer Night’s Dream Levi’s advertisement in full and clips from the BBC hospital soap Holby City. This programme is designed for use by English and Media Studies teachers with students. http://www.teachers.tv/video/2559Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/2559/resources
- KS3 History – Critical Analysis. Year 9 pupils hone their critical analysis skills by examining the 1916 film Battle of the Somme. Part of a World War One in-depth study this lesson focuses on the higher order skill of inference. http://www.teachers.tv/video/1486Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/1486/resources
- Science Tube – Light Show. In this episode of Science Tube, we take an in-depth look at the properties of light. Through time-lapse and animation from space, the Day and Night show highlights the differences in the 24 hour cycle. http://www.teachers.tv/video/12102Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/12102/resources
- Secondary ICT SOS – Internet Researching and Podcasting. In this episode of Secondary ICT SOS, we provide some great advice on using both the internet and podcasting effectively in the classroom. http://www.teachers.tv/video/3207Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/3207/resources
- ICT for the Non-Specialist – Virtual Worlds. The use of virtual worlds in the classroom is investigated. http://www.teachers.tv/video/30858 Other resources and links are available at: http://www.teachers.tv/video/30858/resources