SCOTENS - Standing Conference on Teacher Education North and South - Logo   Image of SEN Children - Logo
Area Index
Home Page
Special Education Needs
Types of Special Need
Medical Conditions
People and Roles
Educational Psychologist (NI)
Educational Psychologist (RoI)
The Class Teacher
The Classroom/Special Needs Assistant
Occupational Therapist (NI)
Paediatrician (NI)
Physiotherapist (N.I)
School Management
The Learning Support Teacher
The Resource Teacher
Speech & Language Therapist (N.I)
The Visiting Teacher Service
ICT & Special Needs
Case Studies
Teaching Strategies
Alternative Education
Miscellaneous Needs
Resources & help
Student Activities

 Special Education Needs

People & Roles -


As part of the multidisciplinary team the occupational therapist receives referrals from medical staff, psychologists and from schools in relation to children.  Although children at Stage 3 onwards can be seen and treated it is only a statutory requirement if part of a statement at Stage 5.  Occupational Therapists may be called in for children with learning disabilities, physical disabilities or behavioural problems.  Occupational therapists will visit children both at home and at school depending on where the area of need is considered to be and parental permission is required to treat a child, except in cases where children are in care or under social service protection.

In school the occupational therapist will undertake a complete assessment of a child.  He or she can then advise on different aspects of treatment alongside the teacher and usually a six week programme is designed.  This will normally involve activities which can be undertaken by the whole class and not just the special needs child.  He or she will give advice on accommodation within school, equipment and teaching strategies.


Acknowledgements & Copyright